#27

Inspiration: I wrote this during a 7-minute write in a Life Stories class. I've made minor changes to the piece shared in class.

***

I remember the feeling of the sand between my toes.

The sound of the ocean as the waves crested and fell.

The salt in the air made my skin feel sticky.

The sun was strong that day, and I felt hot.

All the more so after the hike.

We had almost gotten lost but we pushed on and came upon a secluded beach.

I wish we could have stayed longer.

I wish we could have stayed forever.

But I thought of the practical things.

What would we eat?

How would we get fresh water?

How long would it take to get back?

What if it gets dark?

So, instead of lingering on the tiny beautiful beach, instead of making it ours, we moved on.

Reluctantly but with purpose.

My thoughts often go back to that beach.

What if we had stayed?

What if I was the type of person who lingered?

How would my life be different?

Would I be less than?

Or would I be more than?

Like those waves on the beach, nothing ever stays the same.

One decision impacts the next.

I am no longer who I was or who I am or who I will become.