#18

I remember the feeling of the soft sand between my toes. The sound of the ocean as the waves crested and fell.

The salt in the air made my skin feel sticky.

The sun was strong that day, and I felt hot. All the more so after the long hike.

We had almost gotten lost but we pushed on and came upon the secluded beach.

I wish we could have stayed there longer.

I wish we could have stayed there forever.

But I thought of those practical things. What would we eat? Where would we get water? How long would it take to get back? What if it gets dark?

So instead of lingering on the beautiful tiny beach, instead of making it our own, we moved on. Reluctantly but purposefully.

My thoughts often go back to that beach.

What if we had stayed? What if I were the type of person who lingered? How would my life be different? Would I be less than? Or would I be more than?

Like those waves on that beach, nothing ever stays the same. One decision impacts the next and I am no longer who I was. Or who I am. Or who I will become.