#9

Inspiration: The below piece began as a short write that I shared in a Firefly Creative Writing class led by Jenna Tenn-Yuk at the Toronto Public Library. We went through an idea generation exercise where we created a number of different lists. We were then asked to complete a 6-minute write expanding on one of our ideas. The writing prompt was as follows: "I remember the feeling of..." and I pulled an idea from the list: "Pets of your life."

Timing:
I started this piece on Wed Apr 24 2019 with a 6-minute write in class. I updated this piece and added some additional details on Wed Aug 14 2019 before publishing it on 52 Memoirs.

*** 

I remember the feeling of excitement as I walked home from work. I had a bounce in my step. I was walking so fast that I nearly tripped over my feet. I propelled myself forward, not wanting to break out into a run, yet still trying desperately to get home sooner to see him.

My husband and I had just added a baby bunny to our family. A beautiful blue Netherland Dwarf with a little pink nose, he was the most precious creature to me. I first saw him at a pet store -- not the best place to fall in love, but it happens. He was young, innocent, fluffy, brave, and carefree. He was on sale, but I would have paid full price.

We brought him home in a cardboard box. I'm sure it was dark inside but the box had a few small holes so he could breathe. We rarely take taxis but we took one that day so he wouldn't be scared by the loud noises on the subway. When we got home and opened the box, he was standing so still. He must have been terrified. We looked at our tiny bunny that looked like a tiny stuffed animal.

At the beginning, we kept Truffle in a cage when we were at work. Whoever got home first would pick him up and bring him to the living room, where he would spend the rest of the evening with us. I remember how small and fragile he was. Every time I picked him up, I was afraid I’d break him. 

Little did I know this tiny bunny would eventually rule our household. We no longer keep him in a cage, but he does have a playpen where he can seek refuge, when he wants. Confident and bold, he now terrorizes our dog Lulu, demands attention at every turn, and has essentially claimed our home and everything in it as his. But we let him. Because we love him.  

He belongs to us, and we belong to him.

***

Reflection: Last week was staycation week so I forgot to write a memoir. I'll be writing two this week to catch up. This piece is so dear to me because Truffle is dear to me. It's been nearly nine years since we brought him home and I worry about him constantly. During our week off, Truffle stopped eating again and we took him to the vet to get his teeth trimmed. He's getting up there in age, but he is still active and bouncy. He's no less of a terror but we love him regardless. I'd like to write more about him in a future memoir.